|IFJ slams RP government for inaction|
|Written by Administrator|
|Tuesday, 22 August 2006 03:00|
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) is appalled by the continued inaction of the Philippines Government in protecting journalists after a journalist was viciously wounded, an attempted abduction of a journalist, a broadcaster received death threats, and three media workers were murdered in the last month.
Ten journalists have now been killed in the Philippines just this year, which is more than the total number killed in rest of the Asia-Pacific region. This latest murder brings the toll to 45 media workers killed under President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
"Devastating numbers of journalists are being killed in the Philippines and something urgently needs to be done to stop these killings," IFJ President Christopher Warren said.
"It is disgraceful that after so many senseless murders and being ranked as the second most dangerous country for journalists in the world, after Iraq, the government of the Philippines is still not making a stand to put an end to these targeted killings," Warren said.
"The impunity for those that attack, maim and murder journalists must come to an end," Warren said.
The IFJ, the global organisation representing more than 500,000 journalists in over 115 countries, commended its affiliate the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) for its continued monitoring of threats to media workers and its unwavering dedication to the protection of journalists and the fight for press freedom.
"It is vital that all violence against journalists and any attempts to intimidate and undermine press freedom, are documented and recorded," Warren said.
Provincial reporter escapes attempted abduction in Laguna
Newspaper reporter shot in Valenzuela
Photojournalist killed in Malabon City
Broadcaster killed in Digos
Camera-operator killed in Caloocan City
Broadcaster receives death threats in Kalinga
"These murders, attacks and threats indicate that there has been no attempt to protect the lives of journalists in the Philippines. The government needs to bring the people responsible to justice and quickly if there is any hope of restoring the already deplorable safety levels in the country," Warren said.
The IFJ calls for the government to immediately launch independent investigation into the murders of Melendrez, Pace and Runez, the assault on Banisal, the attempted kidnapping of Garay, the intimidation of Gup-ya and into all other unsolved attacks on journalists in the Philippines.